Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Christianity Hijacked! GOP Takes Faith at Gunpoint! Adherents say Ho-Hum! Matthew Spins in His Grave!


“Then the King will say to those at his right hand, `Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me 'Then the righteous will answer him, `Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?’ And the King will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.’

The above quotation from Matthew 25:34 represents a central tenet of the Christian faith. A majority of Americans profess belief in Christianity. Among the professed believers is George W. Bush, Resident of the United States of America. So I would ask my Christian friends this:

How can you see the abuse and neglect of the homeless, the naked, the hungry of the Gulf Coast in the wake of Katrina at the hands of this self professed "Christian" without rising up as one and saying: "This man is not one of us! His actions are not those of a Christian! We repudiate him!"

Any self-respecting, intellectually honest Christian should be demanding a schism, drawing a bold, bright line between those who walk the walk, and those who merely talk the talk. (Yeah, Chimpy, I'm lookin' at YOU!)

When the actions (and omissions) of the Bush Administration are compared to the mandate of Matthew, and denounced from every Christian pulpit between Maine and California, I'll believe that Christianity is something more than a theological karaoke bar, where folks sing the songs and make the moves and pretend to be something much, much more than they really are.

6 Comments:

  • Aw, come on, man. Try to be a little more tolerant of Christians.

    By Blogger Bobby Lightfoot, at 11:15 PM  

  • The Bible is one of those great religious texts (not unlike the Koran) that allows you to justify just about any action you can imagine. Want to go to war? Just flip back to the old testament. Want to be a pacifist? Just flip to the new testament.

    Christianity, though, is supposed to be more new testament oriented. So, when someone hits you, you're not supposed to hit back. -- turn the other cheek, right?

    That verse reminds me of my Catholic upbringing... that awful hymn after communion every motherfriggin Sunday: "Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers, that you do unto me." God, why are all hymns written in minor keys? I wanted to commit suicide half the time.

    By Blogger Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass, at 11:54 AM  

  • Hey, c'mon you guys. Heyyyy.

    By Blogger Bobby Lightfoot, at 4:44 PM  

  • It's part of a trilogy, a musical trilogy I'm working on in D minor which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why.

    By Blogger roxtar, at 5:57 PM  

  • It's like a Mach piece, really. This piece is called 'Lick My Love Pump.'"

    By Blogger Bobby Lightfoot, at 10:32 PM  

  • Roxtar's insight of the mysterious actions of self-proclaimed Christians reveals the true nature of religion, whether it be Judiasm, Islam or Protestant:

    There is no ONE form of monotheistic religions.

    There is no one form of Islam, and Al Qaeda certainly doesn't represent it the billion followers on the planet.

    There is no one form of Judaism, and the right-wing settlers in the West Bank don't speak for all religious or secular Jews.

    And there is no one form of Christianity, and God knows George Bush doesn't speak for the Almighty nor the millions of Christians around the globe.

    To quote my own personal favorite from the Good Book:

    "As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." (James 2:26)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home