Monday, October 16, 2006

Out, damned earwig! Begone!!

It's happened to all of us. A song, a theme, a snippet of music bores its way into your head, and absolutely refuses to be dislodged.

For some reason, earwigs rarely seem to be music you like. No, friends, earwigs are horrid, annoying pieces of melody or rhythm whose very existence is a affront to refined taste. A smudge of Wishbone Ash, a dollop of Cream, a squeeze of Chris Dilford...these are welcome visitors, like a blog hit from an old college pal. They appear, refresh your recollection, and fade. I once spent a pleasant afternoon with Boccherini's Minuet, in both the string quintet and Spinal Tap instrumentation.

But that's not an earwig. An earwig is a vile, despicable thing, an auditory abomination so loathsome that my regard for you, the reader, prevents me from suggesting some of the more common manifestations of this infestation. (Afternoon Delight) No, it would be a rude host indeed (Milkshake) who would even mention (Who Let the Dogs Out) some of the more horrific (Anything by Abba) parasites that can become wedged (Achy Breaky Heart) among the malleus, incus and stapes of the memory (Mr. Roboto).
Earwigs are not mere figments (Leather and Lace) of our imagination; they have a scientific basis. (Barbie Girl)

It's not that I dislike pop music. (New York, London, Paris, Munich) I used to program Top-40 radio stations and promote records for a major label. (Here's a joke: A frog and a rabbit meet by the watering hole. Being blind, neither can identify the other. What's more, being blind, neither has ever seen itself. The first animal agrees to try to describe the second animal by touch alone. "You have soft fur, and a wiggly nose, and long, floppy ears. You must be a rabbit!" The rabbit was overjoyed, and set out to describe his new friend. "You're cold, and you're slimy, and you have no ears at all. You must be a record promoter!")

I can tolerate the most mindless piece of pop fluff, as long as it's got the hook. But I want to be able to turn it off when I choose.

I'm currently suffering from the music in a Budweiser commercial, which is apparently by someone called the Chemical Brothers. It's called "Galvanize." There's a Bollywood sounding string riff and what sounds like a 13 year old rapper, advising us that "There's a potty ovah heah, so you might as well be heah, where the people ceah." (Psst. Dude, might want to get those adenoids checked out by a professional.)

Who will deliver me from this troublesome beast? Any ideas?

17 Comments:

  • The Earwigs -- not a bad band name (though I'm sure there's probably a band named that already). Anyhow, I had to hear it for myself, this Galvanize... Found it at YouTube (here).

    The Chemical Brothers are a pretty major band, I think. My sister's got a bunch of their CDs & has been a fan for a long time. I'm not familiar with their music, though.

    As for your predicament, I can relate -- been there many times. The only way out is to put on some other music and hope for the best.

    By Blogger Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass, at 10:48 AM  

  • I can usually bear with it until whatever it is finds its way back out of my ear. Perhaps you have a better musical memory than I.

    Would you trade annoying for just plain inoffensive but stupid? Maybe sit with headphones on and lights out and play Grand Funk's "Foot Stompin' Music." That would probably also irratiate any other pesky critters on your person.

    By Blogger Kevin Wolf, at 4:24 PM  

  • I could stand having that sweet Hammond B-3 crashing around in my head for a while. Here, by the way, are the fine, fine, superfine lyrics to FSM: (There's a short intro...

    Oooo-Oooo, Oooo-oooo.
    Oooo-Oooo, Oooo-oooo.
    Oooo-Oooo, Oooo-oooo.
    Oooo-Oooo, Oooo-oooo.
    Oooo-Oooo, Oooo-oooo.
    Oooo-Oooo, Oooo-oooo.
    Oooo-Oooo, Oooo-oooo.


    Does everybody want to?
    Does everybody want to?
    Does everybody want to?
    Does everybody want to?
    Does everybody want to?
    Does everybody want to?


    Oooo-Oooo, Oooo-oooo.
    Come on right now.
    Oooo-Oooo, Oooo-oooo.
    Everybody.
    Oooo-Oooo, Oooo-oooo.
    Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.
    Ooo-Ooo, Ooo-ooo, Ooo-ooo, Ooo-ooo, Ooo.
    Oh, yeah.
    Ooo-Ooo, Ooo-ooo, Ooo-ooo, Ooo.
    Yeah.
    Ooo-Ooo, Ooo-ooo, Ooo-ooo, Ooo.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
    Ooo-Ooo, Ooo-ooo, Ooo-ooo, Ooo.
    Ooo-Ooo, Ooo-ooo, Ooo-ooo, Ooo.
    Ooo-Ooo, Ooo-ooo, Ooo-ooo, Ooo.
    Oooooooooooo-ooo.
    Ooo-Ooo, Ooo-ooo, Ooo-ooo, Ooo.
    Ooo-Ooo, Ooo-ooo, Ooo-ooo, Ooo.


    Ohhhh ... Yeahhhh ...

    By Blogger roxtar, at 4:30 PM  

  • Three words, dude-

    Houses Of The Holy.

    By Blogger Bobby Lightfoot, at 10:16 PM  

  • Houses of the Holy... That's... four... Oh.

    My great boon companion and once and future bandmate Xtcfan swears by the theme to "The Flintstones." Not a particularly objectionable tune, and it really does have an amazing ability to banish an earwig (or -worm, as I've always called it).

    BSUWG: The All-Music Guide lists a noise-rock outfit called The Earwigs, but is mighty scant on details.

    By Blogger Neddie, at 1:19 PM  

  • Hey - What did ABBA ever do to you?

    By Blogger Moderator, at 5:13 PM  

  • Good post about a pernicious problem in my life.

    I get recurring earwigs because there might be a sound in my life that triggers it. When I unplug my laptop to move it, it does this 1-5 (where the 5 is in the previous octave) and it ALWAYS sticks "Birdland" (The Manahattan Transfer version with lyrics!) into my head - which I admit I like okay but Hey Seuss Key Riced I don't want it stuck in me gulliver incessantly.

    God - sometimes a song comes on the radio and if I catch it in time - maybe it won't glue itself to me. I have to really lunge if that song from the 80's by The Tubes comes on - "One in a Million Girls" or something? or that g-ddamn "Crocodile Rock" - he should be shot for that piece of shit! Took me 3 weeks the last time - as Lennon so aptly sang "You know I can't sleep / I can't stop my brain / you know it's 3 weeks / I'm GOING INSANE!"

    (castratum)

    Laaaaaaaa
    LaLaLaLaLaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    LaLaLaLa Laaaa-aaaa
    LaLaLaLaLa LA!

    By Blogger The Viscount LaCarte, at 8:29 PM  

  • I will trade you. Currently, watching the baseball playoffs, I have become infected with that Mellencamp piece of camp used to sell trucks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:48 AM  

  • Good news, The guitar solo from Pink Floyd's Money (the one after it shifts from 7/8 to 4/4 time) is now Number One with a bullet.

    I can live with this.

    By Blogger roxtar, at 3:28 PM  

  • Yeh, that's pretty much Houses Of The Holy.

    By Blogger Bobby Lightfoot, at 10:09 PM  

  • MESSAGE

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:35 AM  

  • [url=http://hometown.aol.com/vizionze/toric-contact-lens.html]toric contact lens[/url] - [url=http://hometown.aol.com/vizionze/contact-lens-cases.html]contact lens cases[/url]
    http://hometown.aol.com/vizionze/custom-contact-lens.html

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:25 AM  

  • Hi all!


    Bye

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:05 AM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:08 PM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:45 AM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:22 AM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home